Posted on: Saturday 1 November 2014

Maybelline Color Drama Intense Velvet Lip Pencils Review






I know what you're thinking, not another lipstick review... But what can I say, I am a self proclaimed lipstick junkie!

Anyway, these little babies were released back at the end of August (I believe), but I've only just recently got my hands on them. And, not to mention all my favourite beauty bloggers have been raving about them since then, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about!

There are ten shades in total, from nudes to reds to plumy colours. I decided to pick up 'Minimalist', 'Nude Perfection' and 'Berry Much' in Boots, as it was 3 for 2. And at £4.99 each they are a right bargain anyway! 
At a later date, I shall be returning to get 'Fab Orange' as I'm really into orangey-red lipsticks at the moment. 

Anyway, I have nothing but great things to say about the Maybelline Velvet Lip Pencils, they are really easy to line the lips with and then of course to fill the lips in full. They have a great selection of colours, the longevity is fabulous, however you do have to re-apply after eating (which I'm sure most of you do anyway) and they are super pigmented.

And, I'm sure you're all thinking that these are an exact copy of the NARS Velvet lippys and you're right, they pretty much are. The Maybelline Velvet Lip Pencils are just as great and a much cheaper dupe of the NARS Velvet Lip Pencils. The NARS lip pencils retail around £18 which is pretty steep and the price is why I can't justify buying one, although that's a bit controversial for me to say considering I am a high-end make-up junkie. 
Although having said that, I swatched the NARS pencils in Canada and they are lovely and they do have some cracking shades. But these Maybelline one's are equally as good and for less than a third of the price, you can't really go wrong can you?






Anyway, above I am wearing 'Nude Perfection' and I'm smiling so it must be good right? Correct! I bloody love this shade and I don't own anything like it! It reminds me of a MAC lipstick that's on my current wish-list, I'm talking about 'Velvet Teddy' by the way. The one that's sold out at the moment which makes me super sad. I'm waffling... back to Nude Perfecto. It's the perfect yellow-toned tan shade, perfect for every-day wear, super pigmented and glides on nicely.

Moving on to 'Berry Much', the perfect autumnal shade. A deep berry colour that doesn't look too vampy, gothic like.






How gorgeous is that colour! And, like-wise to 'Nude Perfection', this one is super pigmented. I think I'm going to get a lot of wear out of this one during Autumn/Winter. 
The only thing I will say is that I should of lined my lips better with this one, but hey-ho. 

And last but not least, I will give a little shout-out to 'Minimalist' (but not in a good way). I was drawn to the name as I'm a bit of a 'minimalistic' lover. But, I decided not to take some snaps of this one as it is my least favourite of the bunch. It's not as pigmented as the other two but I think that must be the point of it being minimal and all that jazz. But yeah, I'm not feeling this one as much. Maybe because, it's more of a barbie pink shade with pecks of glitter in. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of glitter, but not on the lips, it's rather childlike. Unless that's your thing, than that's cool.

My final thoughts: I see what all the fuss is about and again for £4.99, they are an absolutely gem for the price! I wouldn't reach for them every-day as I favour my trusty MAC lipsticks over anything. However, they are a nice change every once in a while. And, they do line the lips perfectly, as long as you keep on sharpening those little babies so they are on point. But, yes, overall I am super happy with them and they are great product!

Have you tried these little gems? If so, what colour is your favourite?

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg