Posted on: Thursday 20 July 2017

Less is more: Let's talk Minimalism


About six months ago I watched a documentary on Netflix called 'Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things'. It really makes you think twice about the 'things' that actually make you happy. I like the concept that owning less 'stuff' and not being sucked in by consumerism can improve your own wellbeing, inner calm and generally make you a happier person.

I find the guys behind 'The Minimalists' and minimalists in general really really inspiring. I find it fascinating how some people can live with only 15 items, or have these incredible quirky small houses but utilising their space incredibly well. Really mind-blowing stuff. Anyway, I'd highly recommend watching it.

After being inspired, I immediately started de-cluttering and took ten bin bags, yes ten, down to my local charity shop. It felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I felt so much better for doing so.
I wouldn't go to the extreme and say 'I'm a hardcore minimalist' by any means, however, I would say I have cut down severely on my spending habits and removed so many unwanted and unused things from my home.
It's true what they say, less is more, and de-cluttering definitely soothes the soul.

I'm not saying that I never get sucked into consumerism though. I do have the urge to spice up my wardrobe every now and again with a big old' ASOS order. Or you'll often find me being sucked in to buying yet another Charlotte Tilbury lipstick... damn you pretty packaging and perfect shades.
But when I do feel myself getting sucked in, I try to remind myself to only buy things that add value to my life. Do I really need five slight variations of white off the shoulder tops or do I really another nude-pink lipstick when I have 59357 already? (throwing lipsticks away is a weakness of mine, sorry Minimalists).

If I do find myself over-spending and buying impulsively, I like to reel it back in by listening to a podcast or doing a bit of inspirational reading. Here's a few great reads, podcasts, projects you may enjoy too.

Podcasts:
It goes without saying, 'The Minimalists' are definitely worth listening to! Each episode is about an hour long, so if you fancy doing something a little different on your lunch break or fancy listening to something motivating while you're at the gym, stick on one of these and feel inspired. They discuss a range of topics from de-cluttering, travel, stress, friends and much much more.

Books:
If you don't know where to start with de-cluttering and tidying and want a beautiful minimal space, give Marie Kondo's 'the life changing magic of tidying' a read. It's really helped me discover what's actually important and what doesn't spark joy anymore. Goodbye clutter forever.
If you like Marie Kondo's approach, she has another book called 'Spark Joy' which follows on from 'the life changing magic of tidying' however is more of an illustrated guide to de-cluttering and organising.

Projects: 
If you're liking the whole idea of a minimalistic lifestyle, Project 333 might be something for you to try. Project 333 is a minimalist fashion challenge that invites you to dress with 33 items or less for 3 months.

The Minimalists also have a project called the 30-day Minimalism Challenge. Find a friend or family member and each of you must get rid of one thing on the first day, two things on the second, three items of the time and so on. Whoever can keep going the longest wins!

As always you can reach me on social media. I have Instagram: @zoeyoliviablog, and twitter: @zoeyoliviablog

No comments:

Post a Comment