Posted on: Tuesday 21 April 2015

Recent Drugstore Buys | Max Factor & L'oreal






Whenever Boots have their 3 for 2 deals on I always get sucked in. Although this time I carefully planned what I wanted beforehand. I knew that I desperately needed a mascara and liquid eyeliner.
And because I get an extra product free I had my eye on a particular cream eyeshadow.

So, I got my hands on Max Factor's False Lash Effect mascara. This wasn't the cheapest mascara on the market, it was £10.99! Regardless of the price, I've always wanted to try Max Factor's mascaras as I've heard good things about them. And I thought maybe by paying that little bit extra it might be worth it.
I'm going to be completely honest, this mascara hasn't won me over yet. I actually prefer L'oreal's Miss Manga mascara to this. Don't get me wrong, it's a good mascara, it gives you natural full looking lashes and it separates each lash well, but it just takes a lot of time and effort to get my lashes to how I want them to look like. Also, I noticed after a day's wear (9+ hours), my eye area gets smudgey and dark. And I'm looking for a mascara that doesn't do this. So far L'oreal's Miss Manga is the only drugstore mascara that doesn't smudge after a day's wear.

Then, I picked up Max Factor's excess shimmer in the shade 20 Copper (£7.99). I wanted to see if this was better than the Maybelline 24 hour colour tattoo cream gel eye shadows as I'm literally obsessed with them, as well as there being so much hype about these!
After trialling these for a week or so, I'm sad to say that I'm a little disappointed with this product.
The colour is gorgeous, it's more of a champagne colour rather than copper kind of colour, and it's a creamy mousse consistency, which I find really interesting. But the reason to why I'm disappointed is because of the pigmentation and the longevity. It's barely noticeable on the eye lids and it lasts only a couple of hours which is a real shame.

I'm always on the look-out for a really good eye-liner. I always end up going back to Rimmel's London Exaggerate liquid eye liner as it is a really great liner to work with but I fancied a change. So I picked up L'oreal's Super Liner (Perfect Slim).
First off, I really like the slick packaging with the matte grip. It's a fairly good liner, in terms of lasting power, but not the best liner overall. I actually found this liner quite tricky to work with, I think the felt tip pen is the main cause of this. Because the felt tip is quite thick and sturdy, it doesn't help with movement and gliding on the lids easily. I find it most awkward to work with when trying to reach the inner corners of the eye.
After a week's worth of usage, the brush dried out! Another disappointing product that I had high hopes for.

If anyone knows of any really great drugstore eyeliners, please do let me know in the comments!

2 comments: