Posted on: Tuesday 24 January 2017

Favourite Reads... a little Hygge Obsessed!


I have been getting into reading a little bit more recently, it helps me to detach myself from the digital world every now and again.

Sometimes there is nothing more enjoyable than escaping into a book. I'm usually a big fan of fantasy books but I also love reading biographies and books that help when you're in a bit of a rut with yourself. 

I've picked my favourite reads of 2016 that some what may be an interest to you too.

1. #GirlBoss. This book is huge in the blogging world and it's no surprise why... every girl dreams of being their own boss and Sophia Amoriso, Founder and CEO of Nasty Gal shares her experiences and advice. This book gives you a little kick up the bum to reach your potential. Really really good read. 

It also has lots of great quotes through-out the book. I love this one by the one and only Estee Lauder - "I never dreamed for success, I worked for it."

2. The 500 Hidden Secrets of LONDON. Joe bought me this little gem for Christmas! I've lived on the outskirts of London all my life and I still can't get enough of eating out and exploring here.
There's so much to do and experience and this little book helps whenever I'm struggling to find an interesting place to eat or for things to do.

3. The Little Book of Hygge. I think everyone on the interwebs has this book as the hygge lifestyle seems to be trending massively. The reason why I wanted this so badly is because Denmark as a country really inspires me. It is often said to be the happiest country in the world and that's because of 'hygge'. Hygge has been translated as everything from the art of creating intimacy to cosiness of the soul to taking pleasure from the presence of soothing things.

"You know hygge when you feel it. It is when you're cuddled up on the sofa with a loved one, or sharing comfort food with your closest friends. It is those crisp blue mornings when the light shines through your window."

4. Hygge, The Danish Art of Happiness. You can tell I like this hygge thing right? Another great read on what really matters in life. Also I'm super excited that I'm going to be travelling to Denmark soon!

5. The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F**k. I love this, it's possibly one of the best books that I've read in 2016. In a nutshell it basically tells you to stop giving a f**k, to stop worrying so much and to do the things that truly make you happy.

I've always been a worrier and I used to care so much what people thought of me, and I'd do anything to please people... and people would literally walk all over me that I fell into a trap of exhaustion and unhappiness. All that energy and dedication that I gave was often overlooked which honestly broke my heart a little.
Anyway, I've learnt to focus on me a little more recently. Self love and making yourself a priority is important. If only I realised this sooner eh...

6. New York Through a Fashion Eye. Another book Joe bought me for Christmas! A beautifully illustrated book by Megan Hess. This book is so aesthetically pleasing to flick through. And there are some great places to visit in New York. If I am lucky enough to return to the big apple, I'm taking this book with me! 


So there you have it, 6 of my favourite reads of 2016! If there are any other similar books that you think I'd like to read, then please leave them in the comments below. I'm always up for new reading material. As always you can reach me on social media. I have Instagram: @zoeyoliviablog, and twitter: @zoeyoliviablog.

No comments:

Post a Comment